Monday, March 30, 2009

Morning Dove Momma


My how they grow up so fast. This dove has decided to raise her family in the rafters of my front porch. I also have a nest up in the back patio. I just discovered these chicks a couple of days ago, and decided to snap this shot this morning. There was a mother dove camped out here last year who raised a handful of youngins. I think she perished in the talons of the Coopers Hawk. She left behind an orphan that had just matured enough to fend for herself. I called her Annie. Annie was the only dove who did not mind my presence too awfully bad. As all of the other doves bolted off when I went outside, Annie had a hard time figuring out what all the fuss was about. I wrote about Annie last summer after she collided with one of my windows. I gave her bread and water for a couple of days while she recovered under the Honeysuckle. She used to be quite the loner, but now I believe she has found a mate. I cant help but wonder if this sweet momma is Annie.

2 comments:

Diane AZ said...

That is the sweetest picture of doves in the nest! Maybe the mother is Annie. I might have a house finch nesting under a roof tile outside my window. I can't see the nest, but a male and female house finch keep visiting there.

Teri said...

Oh, that photo is so precious!!! Such a sweet-looking family portrait!