Saturday, March 7, 2009

Purple and Green Spring


Boy howdy! Sometimes I just can't fathom the depth of my occasional dorkitude. I've been getting all giddy because my Yellow Bird of Paradise bushes are getting ready to bloom. However a few weeks ago, noticed an unusual red growth smothering the stems and spreading out up upon the buds. I beat feet down to the local nursery and bought a rather expensive organic pest potion. I was all over the net trying to research theses little buggers. I looked up fungi, I looked up aphids, I looked up mites and I looked up scale. Much to my chagrin, I could not identify the anomoly. So I finally decided to check out close up shots of the blossoms and buds of this plant on the net, and that was when i discovered that the growth is actually part of the plant. Funny little red beard ya got there! I'm a dork.


The Verbena is always anxious to bloom early in spring.


The Texas Laurel is just about in full bloom too. This is one tree of mine that I really wished that the blossoms would linger longer.


The Ocotillo is bustin out nicely.

Here is a close up of the Occotillo Leaves.


The potato Bush really exploded almost all at once. I think it was in a blooming race with the Verbena.


The snow devistated my large Cape Honeysuckle. It was the favorite of all of the Hummingbird visitors. I decided to leave all of the old wood in tact, for the little sparrows and finches. Its just a few feet from the pond and they like to use it to bounce back and forth from between the pond.
I got some footage of a handfull of birds pirched up in it. If you want to check it out its in the "Roadrunner Morning" video.


Yee Gads! Someones built a little condo in the Verbina. I'll have to get a shot of the eight legged arachnid sometime.

2 comments:

Diane AZ said...

I noticed that red stuff growing on yellow bird of paradise bushes and also thought it was some sort of infestation. Glad you checked it out and it's normal growth. It's nice to see your desert plants looking so great even after snow. Maybe the honeysuckle will grow back?

Teri said...

This was a wonderful journey through your beautiful backyard! The blooms and colors are just luscious!