Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Birth of the Refuge

This is how my backyard looked around the time I moved in. I wanted to add a bit more interest and perhaps a nice place for the wildlife to stop in for a visit. Palm trees are not really native to the Sonoran desert, so I gave them away.

I got a huge load of recycled concrete chunks from a neighbor who was putting in a new driveway. Then I dry stacked them to form a small retaining wall.

I back filled the wall and bought a nice recycled Agave from a friend who owns "Wild Desert Nursery". She ventures out into the desert to rescue native Cacti prior to developers breaking ground on new housing projects etc.

I wasn't really sure what to do with the gaping hole left behind after the Palm trees were hauled. I was torn between putting in a sunken BBQ pit, or a little waterfall and pond.


I believe the Quail that come to visit in the morning and sip upon the cool water, are grateful for my decision.
You can click on any of the images if you care to see the enlarged view. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

Good choice on the pond there. We hope to add a water feature when we finish landscaping our backyard. You've done a nice job.