Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Post its" to the Rescue

Yesterday started off on a very sad note. One of the young Dove's playing in the backyard was startled by something. It took off in a flash directly towards my window, and hit real hard. The scene was not very pretty. This was the second casualty in the recent weeks since the sun has been reflecting more on the north side of the house. I was broken hearted. I started racking my brain trying to figure out a swift method to put an end to the carnage. I thought about stringing some crystal beads, but realized that would take way too long. This morning I had a bit of a brainstorm for a quick fix. I grabbed a pile of post its, and painted one side with dots of glittery nail polish. I slapped up a few here and there. It will work for now, but I need to experiment around with similar fixes that do not look so goofy.


I decided that rather than burying the little guy, I'd toss him over the rail. His luck ran out, yet I doubt that the Buzzard who had him for brunch was too bummed.

I've been slacking in the still image department, as I've been spending a good chunk of my spare time taking videos of the visitors to the pond. So I thought I'd add the shot above. I love when the Cardinals come to visit. Especially in the late afternoons when their red feathers become iridescent.

One of my tiny cacti decided to pop out some beautiful
magenta buds. I got this shot not too long after sunrise.
I decided to check back in an hour or two, to see how much
the blossoms had opened up.




Peek a boo! Come on Bee's! The clocks ticking. Get em while they are fresh.








Dang varmints! The Bunnies have been wreaking total havoc on my yard. Wouldn't it be lovely if all they ate was weeds? How do you get mad a cute little critter like that.
Well heads up silly rabbits, as soon as this heat wave subsides a tad, I'm spraying my new repellent. I doubt if you have much of a desire for garlic and chili.




Ooooh! Check out this guy coming in for a landing.









Here is a brilliant red bird. He must be some sort of finch. I'll have to get back with you on that.
Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

Kathie Brown said...

Your red bird is a male vermilion flycatcher. People come from all over the US and other countries to see this bird which is only found in the southwest. Flycatchers are insect eaters and usually fly up from a perch to catch an insect, then return to the same spot or one nearby. The vermilion is the most colorful of all the flycatchers. The female is apricot colored. You can find more photos of them on my blog. Have you visited Tucson Audubon yet? They are a great resource and they have store at Agua Caliente Park as well as downtown on the corner of 5th and University (I think). Their link is on my blog. Keep up the good birding!